Environmental / Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plans
Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plans
Maurer-Stutz, Inc. (MSI) provides comprehensive Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plan compliance and design services for various facilities including farms and bulk oil distributors. MSI offers the convenience of contracting with one firm that can meet your engineering, surveying, and environmental needs. Our team approach of diverse licensed professionals enables MSI to provide the expertise necessary to assist clients in achieving their goals of regulatory compliance.
SPILL PREVENTION, CONTROL, AND COUNTERMEASURE (SPCC) PLAN FACTS & TERMINOLOGY
- SPCC Plan regulations apply to facilities, including farms, which store, transfer, use, or consume oil or oil products such as diesel fuel, gasoline, lube oil, hydraulic oil, adjuvant oil, crop oil, vegetable oil, or animal fat and store more than 1,320 U.S. gallons in above-ground containers or more than 42,000 U.S. gallons in completely buried containers.
- To calculate a facility’s total fuel/oil storage capacity, use the shell capacity of each container (maximum volume) and count all containers with storage capacities equal to or greater than 55 U.S. gallons to determine whether the SPCC regulations apply to your facility.
- A Tier I Qualified Facility is a facility having between 1,320 and 10,000 gallons of total fuel/oil storage capacity and no single storage container with a capacity greater than 5,000 gallons.
- A Tier II Qualified Facility is a facility having between 1,320 and 10,000 gallons of total fuel/oil storage capacity but one or more storage containers with a capacity greater than 5,000 gallons.
- Any facility with a total fuel/oil storage capacity greater than 10,000 gallons requires a licensed Professional Engineer for development, amendments, and certification of an SPCC Plan.
- In addition to EPA regulations, design and installation of storage tank systems with secondary containment typically also requires compliance with various State Fire Marshal regulations.
While we have been providing SPCC Plan services to bulk oil facilities for nearly fifteen years through our Environmental Group, we also have Agricultural Engineers with training and expertise in SPCC Plan services to cater to farm owners or other agricultural clients requiring these services. Please contact our Peoria Office if you are in need of SPCC compliance services or if you have any questions.
- Development of SPCC Plans for facilities with greater than 10,000 gallons of fuel/oil storage (which require certification by a licensed Professional Engineer)
- Planning and design of fuel/oil storage secondary containments and spill prevention and mitigation procedures
Assistance with development of SPCC Plans for Tier I and Tier II Qualified Facilities (which may be self-certified)
- Preparation of SPCC Plan amendments and/or re-certifications requiring a licensed Professional Engineer
- Assistance with permitting of fuel/oil storage tanks with the Office of the State Fire Marshal